Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Week 15 (May 10 - 16, 2011)

Well, after a short 15 weeks, the class has finally come to a close. In general, I really enjoyed it. Not only did the class incorporate a nice mix of theoretical as well as applied aspects, but the instructor was also very knowledgeable and easy to work with.

For the final class, we had an open forum where everyone got to mention what they benefited most from the class, and what they hope to improve on for the future. It was really interesting to hear what everyone had to say. We were also asked to make one final post on our blog space discussing resource challenges and personal/internal stressors over the course of the term. My post can be read below.

As for my final project details, I will be posting them later this week.



Resource Challenges
I think one project that was a (beneficial) challenge for me was the digital storytelling project. I’ve watched so many digital stories before, but never gone through the actual process of compiling one.

At the start, it seemed like it would be easy to complete but once I started going through it, I quickly found out I really did not know what I was getting myself into. I guess it depends on the effort one wants to put into their project, but between trying to write an entertaining story, recording yourself telling it, trying to mix in background music, finding good pictures to match, incorporating transitions between pictures, dealing with the mishaps of Windows Movie Maker (or whatever software used), etc., etc.

Basically, it took me a lot of time to get my project where I wanted, and I now have a much greater appreciation for digital stories and the effort people put into creating them.


Personal/Internal Stressors
I don’t know if I really had any stressors to deal with over the semester, but one thing that was new to me which I greatly valued was the material on learning/teaching theories. I’ve been exposed to technology for awhile now and have used it before in lessons, but I’ve never been able to give an educated explanation as to why it should be used other than something like “it’s cool.”

I also appreciate doing the final paper as it gave me the chance to finally put this knowledge to use and make a case for my technology integration proposal, supported with proofs. One small suggestion I have though for the future is to possibly make these topics worth more in the grading. I know the focus was meant to be on the design process, but I feel these are also very important prerequisites to the design process.

No comments:

Post a Comment